Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Updating the Guest Room (Orange & Aqua)

Over the weekend, I finally got started on cleaning up our guest room.  This was one of those rooms with left over, mismatched furniture, project remnants, and art that couldn't find a home elsewhere.  We recently moved our old king bed into the room and put it where the queen bed had been.  But our king bed has a tall headboard that was blocking most of the window, so I knew we needed to switch up the placement of the furniture. 


Here is the embarrassing "before" picture.  I feel so bad for my poor inlaws for staying in that ugly room!




And below is how the room looks with the bed on the adjacent wall- now the window can breathe:).  The room is still in progress, but I wanted to give you a glimpse of how it's coming along.  I used mostly items I already had (the orange and white duvet cover from WalMart and my aqua lamps that were in my office).  I plan on adding drapes, but haven't chosen the fabric yet.  








I moved the white dresser to the opposite wall (I've had it since I was 18!) and added a new runner (from Z Gallerie).  The styling needs work, I'm still trying things out.  




I already had a funky orange elephant and orange lamp from Homegoods.  I also had the tray from Z Gallerie. 




The lamp was one of those purchases where you're in the store, see something you love, but have absolutely no idea what you're going to do with it since it's a departure from your typical style, but you have to have it:) 




I'm excited about how fresh the room looks compared to what we started with.  I still have art to hang and I need a mirror for over the dresser.  


My room is largely inspired by the gorgeous room designed by Tobi Fairley with orange and mint.  I've loved that photo for so long, and finally decided to go for it.  Right now, I've got mostly the orange going on, but the art and drapes will bring in more of that aqua/mint color.  


Our dark bed isn't ideal for the light, airy feel of the photograph, but we're working with what we have.  




Slowly, but surely, this house is coming along!  


And note to inlaws: Come back soon, we'll have a new room ready for you! :)