Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Day in My Life (Saturday)

I must have an inner-voyeur lurking inside me because I absolutely get a thrill from peeking into other people's lives.  And I especially like seeing how their day-to-day lives operate.  I think I've mentioned before that I'm interested in the details, like do you drink coffee when you wake up, are you a night owl or early bird, do you typically eat in or out?  Getting these tidbits of information helps me feel like I know you more intimately.



If you're like me, then this post is for you.  This past Saturday, I made a point to take pictures throughout the day, in an effort to chronicle a typical day in my life- a typical Saturday, that is.  Of course, no Saturday is exactly alike, sometimes there's a birthday party to attend or something, but this gives you a general idea.





7:00 a.m. Wake up.  Drink coffee.  It's kinda ridiculous how much I look forward to this each day.










7:15 a.m. Sit at the breakfast table and eat oatmeal while I start making our grocery list.  I like to browse through some cookbooks for inspiration for a "new" meal to prepare each week, but today I can't seem to narrow it down.  It's about this time that I have so much excitement for the weekend and day ahead that my mind starts racing with everything I want/have to do.  I have to remind myself to just slow down.  









7:30 a.m. James wakes up.  Bedhead and all:) 










8:00 a.m.  Daddy goes to workout.  (We agreed the night before that we'd take turns working out this morning so that we could both do it.  Some Saturdays, we'll go to the park together, walking the 3-mile track while pushing James in the running stroller.)  I hang out with James in the living room while he plays.  I start flipping through a couple magazines and watch Giada.  










8:30 a.m. James and I make chocolate chip pancakes.  This is his first time and he really liked them.










9:00 a.m. Start making black bean chili (it takes about 2 1/2 hours to cook).  I like to have something homemade on hand to eat throughout the weekend and had been wanting to try this recipe from Cook's Illustrated.










9:30 a.m. Dad gets home, he plays football in the backyard with James.










9:30 a.m. I head to the park for a run.  I'm not too far into my "run" when I realize I didn't eat enough this morning to fuel me the whole way- and I ate too long ago. I looked for a protein bar to eat on the way, but we didn't have any.  I end up briskly walking 2 of the 3 miles.  I pretty much think about what I'm going to eat when I'm done the whole time.  










10:30 a.m.  I'm so hungry after my walk, that I'm almost not hungry.  I planned to take some pictures of my bedroom for my blog this afternoon while the light is good, and I need flowers, so I stop at a flower shop on the way home and pick up peonies.  










10:45 a.m. I've never had peonies in my own home and am completely smitten with how pretty they are.  I feel like I've really indulged and want to share, so I take a quick picture and upload it to my blog for y'all to see, hoping it brightens your day too,










11:00 a.m.  I eat tuna for lunch and an apple with peanut butter.  I head upstairs to take pictures of my bedroom and sitting room for the blog.  First, I have to tidy up both spaces, then I spend over an hour taking about 60 photos, 90% of which will never make it to the blog.  










11:30 a.m.  Chili is ready!









12:30 p.m. Put James down for a nap.  I finally take a shower.   Feels so good to get clean! 





1:00 p.m.  I download my photos onto my computer and clean the kitchen.  (I left it a mess when I went to the park).





2:00 p.m.  James wakes up, but he actually never slept that well.  We're all kinda tired but have errands to run, so we head to Starbucks, then Target.









3:30 p.m.  James is too tired and fussy to continue the errands, so I take him home while my husband does the grocery shopping.  I get to rock my baby in my arms for about 30 minutes while he sleeps hard.  I soak up the sound of his breath and his sweet smell.  I'm wishing someone was here to photograph this precious moment.



5:00 - 6:00 p.m.  We put away the groceries, make dinner for James, and I lay down on the couch for a catnap.  It's not long before James climbs aboard to get "cozy" with me:) We relax in the living room, not doing much of anything.  I need to do laundry, but figure it can wait till tomorrow.









6:30 p.m.  Get freshened up for dinner, putting on some makeup and a new sundress. 





7:00 p.m.  We drop off James with my sis-n-law and go out to dinner.  This is a very rare occasion- we almost never do dates.  





7:30 p.m.  We go to a neighborhood restaurant, Shade, and have a nice dinner, starting with a  glass of wine and a cheese plate. 









10:00 p.m.  Go to bed after picking up James.  Sweet dreams!





********


So tell me, does my Saturday resemble yours?