Monday, February 20, 2012

Dining Room Lamp Makeover

Slowly but surely I've been working on improving the look and comfort of our dining room.  Over the last several months we've added a rug, mirror, drapes and moved our console into the room.  I also played musical lamps and brought in lamps that were previously in our living room.   The lamps (from Homegoods) have a nice shape and height, but they looked bland against the similarly colored walls and linen chairs.  After seeing Cassie's (Hi Sugarplum) recent lamp debate and Janell's (Isabella & Max Rooms) glossy lamp paint job, I decided to paint these lamps to give them some personality.




I just taped a plastic bag over the parts of the lamp I didn't want painted. 




And chose a blue I thought would compliment the drapes.




 I spayed a thick layer of spray paint on the lamps, but didn't use any gloss.   What a difference!






Then I wanted to see how the lamps would look embellished with some ribbon.  I literally just taped the ribbon at one end because I didn't want it to be permanent. 


I like how the ribbon looks on the shade- but I think the color of the lamp and ribbon is too blue for the room.  I should've chosen a color with more aqua in it to compliment the drapes.  




I will probably end up repainting these since it's so easy to do and there is such a large array of colors of spray paints to choose from.  But I still wanted to show you this project in case you were like me and had never considered spray painting a lamp.  






So easy.  And check out all the fun spray paint colors I found recently at Lowe's.  Now I'm wandering around the house wondering what I can paint next.  You do that too, right?!