Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Organized Kitchen // Bread in a Basket

We are definitely not a carb-free family.  In fact, we have so much bread that it won't fit into a typical bread bin.  I've tried putting the bread in a drawer (that didn't last long) and in the pantry (but who wants to walk to the pantry to get a piece of bread to toast?).  So, the bread pretty much was just sitting out on the kitchen counter next to the toaster.









What is all that bread anyway? We've got Mom and son's 100% whole wheat, thick cut brown sugar bread for French toast, Dad's Oatnut bread, James' raisin cinnamon bread, James' Moon Pops (kinda like a rice cake), Hawaiian hot dog buns, and James' mini blueberry muffins.  Whew! 









I have tried putting all the bread in a giant bowl, but it never seemed large enough.  Then, at Homegoods, I found a large, oval shaped basket (in a beautiful greyish color) that I knew could hold all this bread.










I lined the basket with three hand towels and figured I can switch them out or add decorative fabric in the future.  The muted colors work well in my mostly white kitchen, but a pop of color would really be fun here too.  Of course, you could even spray paint the basket.










This looks so much better than that miss-mash we had before!













How are you storing all of your bread?  Do you use those bread bins with the lid?  When I tried that, half the bread was still sitting outside the bin. 










* * * * * 




If you get a chance, I'd love to hear your mom's best advice to you, and you can share it HERE.  I shared mine! :)